Monday, January 25, 2010

Vacation Bible School

My daughter and I were listening to the Discovery Canyon Music CD this morning. I was the storyteller for that Vacation Bible School program last year. Each day had a different lesson about Jesus and an activity to go with it. The two I really ran with were the Canyon Rescue and the TV News Story on Jesus.

The lesson for the Canyon Rescue was "working together." The pews in the sanctuary were perfect canyon walls. I created obstacles for the kids to get past before they could get to the stuffed animal that was the creature they were rescuing. They all had to work together with the given materials to get over each obstacle. I lined the children up like a bucket line and they passed the materials down to the ones at the front. I created a river from blue blankets and a hill or "rock fall" from several chairs. We used ropes, flashlights, poster board to represent a boat to get across the river. I used a large piece of wood as a backboard for the "injured" stuffed animal and a table worked as the EMS vehicle.

The lesson for the TV News Story on Jesus was "Spreading the Word." The kids played out the scene of Jesus healing the sick girl as if there was a live T.V News crew broadcasting the story. My helpers and I had a great time making the props. We had a fake video camera, microphone and noise makers for the cheering crowd. Several children really enjoyed playing the T.V. news correspondent who narrated the action.

No comments:

Post a Comment